How Can I Make Money Online?
Hold on a minute
Before i start talking about all the different ways you can use to make money online i should first answer an even more important question. A very popular question i see people asking in forums and in social media all the time.
Can Everyone Make Money Online?
And the answer is… Yes.
I know how that sounds. Like something, a scammer would say. And that it is true. That’s what online scammers often tell people to convince them to buy a product. But there is a difference. A big difference. I am not saying it’s easy or that you will make thousands of $ from the first month or that no skills are required. All i am saying is that it is possible to make money online. That’s all. And yes it is possible for everyone to make money online.
There is no doubt there are plenty of legitimate ways to do that. But they all require work and a considerable amount of effort before a return on your time. But that also means it is totally up to you if you will succeed online or not. When it comes to making money online the possibilities are endless.
Starting an online business was never easier. It doesn’t matter where you live or if you know nothing about website design and development. As long as you have an Internet connection you can make money online. What really matters is if you are willing to learn how to make money online. And you must also accept that making mistakes, failing and going back to the drawing board is normal. The road to success is not a straight line.
But the good news is legitimate online opportunities require a very small upfront investment or even nothing at all. So, starting an online business is a win-win situation. And in case you are not interested in building an online business, it doesn’t mean you should give up or that making money online is not for you. If you just want to earn some extra cash i suggest you keep reading because i do reveal a number of legitimate websites that actually pay people. Don’t worry there are no scams here.
How Can I Make Money Online From Home?
Making money online is a lot more common than you think. All the methods described here work and i have no doubts it is something everyone can do. Of course, knowledge and certain skills are required especially if you don’t just want to earn a few dollars but you are more interested in creating a passive income. In my opinion, that’s exactly what you should be doing. The online world gives you that opportunity. You should take it.
As for the skills you need to have that shouldn’t scare you. There are plenty of ways you can acquire them. Although you can only truly learn by trying. Practice makes perfect. The most important thing you need to have is the will to learn and succeed. No one was born knowing how to make money online or how to build a profitable website. They all learned by working hard and consistently. Luck has nothing to do with succeeding online.
1) Affiliate Marketing
For me is the best way to make money online. Everyone can do it. And i really mean everyone. Affiliate marketing is simply selling other people or companies products. You don’t have to create your own products and you also don’t have to worry about shipping, logistics, customer service etc. You don’t even have to worry about the transaction itself. Because that will not take place on your site but on the company’s website. Customers click on your affiliate link and are automatically directed to the company’s site to complete the transaction. And you earn a commission for every sale.
You are basically the middleman. Your job as an affiliate marketer is to connect the potential customers (your target audience) with the right products. In essence, you are offering solutions to your audience’s problems. People are looking online for information and to fulfill a need or a desire. You as an affiliate marketer have to offer them products and services that will do exactly that. Make their life easier and solve their problems.
There are many ways you can do that. Create a website, a blog, an e-commerce store, landing pages, paid ads, videos, banner ads etc. Or combine the above ways in any way you want. It’s totally up to you. As long as it works for you and your audience likes it. The key is to build a loyal audience. Finding products to promote is not a problem. Almost every large company today has its own affiliate program. You can also join affiliate networks like ShareASale, Commission Junction, ClickBank and source products. And don’t forget about Amazon where you can find almost everything.
Make no mistake though affiliate marketing is not a walk in the park. In order to make money, you must have traffic coming to your site. That is not an easy thing to do and yes it takes time. Affiliate marketing is definitely not a get-rich-quick-scheme. But at the same time, anything worth doing in life takes time and effort.
Here’s the deal
Succeeding in affiliate marketing requires understanding how to identify a profitable market, target the right audience, engage with your audience, get your marketing message across, what your audience is looking for, how much they are willing to spend, how and also why they are shopping online. You must figure out what is they are looking for and become a reliable source of valuable and useful information.
So it’s not just about driving traffic to your site. Communication is the number one skill you need to master if you want to earn money with affiliate marketing. All these might sound intimidating and very difficult to do but they are not if you can organize your efforts and focus on doing one thing at the time. Plus the amount of income you can make with affiliate marketing leaves no doubt that this is something worth trying. Plenty of people tried affiliate marketing and never looked back.
The question is not if affiliate marketing works or not but whether or not you can make affiliate marketing work for you.
How to get started: 3 Legit Online Marketing Programs
2) Niche Marketing
The online world is a very competitive one. You don’t want to make things more difficult for yourself than already are. There is no need to go up against authority sites and huge eCommerce stores that dominate the search engine results. It will take you forever to make it to the first page of Google.
What you need to do is to carefully choose your niche. The online world is also full of opportunities. You may have heard the term “niching down” before. Or maybe not. It doesn’t matter. A niche is simply a group of people sharing the same interests. In other words your target audience. You don’t want to pick an unclear or a broad niche. It will be difficult to stand out from the rest.
So, what do you do?
In every niche, there are smaller subgroups (sub-niches) of people. It is a lot easier to become the go-to expert in those smaller niches and dominate the market. For example, Sports is a huge niche. The competition is fierce and you would have to build a massive website to rank high in Google. But English Premier League is a much smaller niche and easier to rank for and make sales. Of course, your target audience will be smaller but once you become an authority in that subgroup making sales will be easy. You can always expand later.
You can pick any niche you want. You don’t have to be an expert to enter a niche. Or at least not from the start. You also don’t have to become the worlds leading expert on the topic to build a successful niche site. And definitely, you don’t have to pretend you are an expert when you are not.
What you must have though is passion about your niche and the desire to search and learn more about it. Otherwise, pretty soon you will get bored and give up. The necessary knowledge and expertise you need to obtain depend on the level of your target audience.
Before choosing your niche take a look at Google Trends and in Amazon to find hot markets and what is selling at the moment. Pick a niche that attracts a lot of people and go for it. If you choose niche marketing to make money online you will obviously need a presence online. Most likely a website. But that shouldn’t scare you because creating your own website today is very easy. No coding skills are required. With platforms like WordPress, you can create a site in a few minutes.
Niche marketing doesn’t necessarily mean selling other people’s products. You could choose a niche where you could sell your own products or services.
Freelancing is one of the most popular ways to make money online. Millions of people are working as freelancers online. Offering your skills and expertise online is not a way to create a passive income but it is still a great way to generate an income. Needless to say for many people working online freelancing is their “9 to 5 job” and their main source of income.
Obviously, if you wish to make money as a freelancer you must have the necessary skills required. You won’t make any money if you can’t do the job they hired you to do. The good news is people are hiring freelancers for almost everything. Join a freelance site like Upwork, Fivver, Freelancer, Sologig, Simply Hired, Flexjobs, Guru, iFreelance and start looking for jobs.
The freelance sites mentioned above act like a marketplace that brings freelancers and employers in touch usually for a small commission. Of course, the competition is tough and you will have to build a strong portfolio if you want to go after the big projects. The key (in my humble opinion) is to offer a professional high-quality service at a very reasonable price. Things will be difficult in the beginning until you make a name for yourself. But once people realize they can trust you things will improve.
Another positive thing working as a freelancer is that you don’t have to build a website, a blog or anything like that. Although in some cases that helps. It is also pretty common for people that don’t have any “special” qualifications like graphic designing, web design, marketing, IT consulting etc to work as freelance writers. There is and probably will always be work available online for content writers. If you like writing and you are good at it earning a full-time income from it is highly likely. But if you are not a fan of it i suggest looking for something else. Like i said before almost all services are in demand for freelancers.
Starting a blog was and still is one of the best ways to make money online. The list would be incomplete without mentioning blogging. Do you remember when we talked about creating passive income online? Well, launching a blog is definitely a step towards achieving that goal. There are many people who earn a 6 figure income every month thanks to their blog. Of course, like with everything else in life in order to become a successful blogger, you must love it.
Publishing valuable content on a regular basis is not an easy thing to do but it is necessary. Attracting new readers and keeping existing readers coming back for more requires a lot of hard work and discipline. The most common question every aspiring blogger asks is “How long does it take to make money blogging?” Although there is no straight answer to that question (too many factors involved) you shouldn’t expect to see any real results right away. Building authority and becoming popular in your niche takes time. Working consistently for a year or even two is considered pretty normal in the blogging world. Yes, you read that right. That’s how long it could take.
But the amount of money you could make with a blog makes the whole thing worth it. If your content is good and you are targeting the right audience you can make serious money as a blogger. One thing to remember though is don’t just start a blog about something in general. Pick your niche (market) carefully. Research your niche first and make sure there are people interested in that subject. And second check if you can make money in that market. After all, you will be starting a blog to earn money from it and not as a hobby.
Now that you managed to get people’s attention and increase your traffic it’s time to monetize your blog. There are many ways to do that. Most people at that point only think about using Google AdSense and affiliate marketing. But there are also other methods you could use. Before i list them down i would like to mention something first. Making money from ads (and i mean a considerable amount of money) you need thousands of people visiting your blog every day.
So, let’s make some money:
- Create your own products. It can be anything. From eBooks and courses to online training lessons. Anything you want. They don’t necessarily have to be digital products. You could also promote your own physical products. As long as your readers like them you will make sales. The key is to offer valuable products at prices they can afford.
- Sell your skills. Use your blog as a promotional tool and sell a paid service. It must be something you are already good at it and you can charge people for. For example building websites, financial planning, social media marketing etc. Don’t pretend to be a professional in something if you are not. That’s a bad idea and it never works. After all, people must trust you in order to purchase your services.
- Paid membership. That is a method a lot of bloggers use. Usually, a part (sometimes even all) of their content is available only to paid members. That exclusive content must obviously be something people can’t find online for free. In order to do that successfully, you must first establish yourself as an authority in your niche. You must become the go-to expert and have a very popular blog.
- Sponsored posts. Another popular method successful bloggers (and vloggers) use to earn money. Again you must first build a very popular blog that attracts a lot of visitors on a daily basis. If you manage to do that (it’s not easy i agree) the chances are companies will contact you first to publish posts and reviews about their products or services. The key is not to get carried away and start selling your blog’s integrity to the highest bidder. You don’t want to lose your readers trust.
Pro Tip: 10 Writing Tips For Bloggers
In case you want to completely avoid the fuss of starting a blog or an eCommerce store but you are still interested in selling your own stuff there is a way. You can use platforms that have already done most of the work for you. You can set up your own online shop without having to build a website or having to worry about customer service, online payments, shipping etc.
Of course, using their services is not free. Usually, you will have to pay a monthly price or fees.
- Etsy. If you are interested in arts and crafts creating a store on Etsy sounds like a good idea. Signing up is free and setting up your online store on Etsy’s website is pretty easy. They process payments for you and guarantee the safety of your shop. The transaction fee is 3.5% for every sale you make. There is also a payment processing fee and a listing fee. But nothing you should worry too much about. At least in my opinion.
- Amazon (FBA). You could start selling on Amazon without having to create a website on your own. FBA stands for ‘Fulfilled By Amazon’ and they basically do everything for you. They store, pick, pack and ship your products. All you have to do is buy products and ship them to Amazon. They also provide customer service for your products. You don’t have to worry about that either. Then they send you your money. Of course, they charge a commission for every unit you sell but look at the bright side. You don’t have to handle the products yourself. This is a form of drop-shipping and plenty of people have successfully used their system. If you want to learn more about how Amazon FBA works and how to make money with it i suggest taking a look at this guide from Jungle Scout. Their post explains perfectly how to sell on Amazon FBA.
- Shopify. According to many online marketers, Shopify is one of the best platforms to build your own eCommerce store. They handle most of the things for you like shipping, payments etc. Setting up a store on Shopify will cost you $29 per month (the cheapest membership) or even up to $299 per month.
- eBay. Some people are of the opinion that eBay is old-fashioned and not worth your time and effort anymore. But i am not of those people. Starting an eBay store is a relatively simple process and you don’t necessarily have to sell your own products. You could sign up with a drop-shipping company that will store and ship products for you and you could sell those products through your eBay store.
No matter what you choose you will almost certainly need a PayPal account. My advice is before signing up for anything to take your time and do your own research first about how you can best use the platforms mentioned above. Choose the one that suits your needs best and you like the most.
5) Work From Home Companies
Now in case, you are not interested in starting a blog, building your own website or an eCommerce store and you just want to earn a few extra dollars on the side don’t worry. Below is a list of websites that will pay you for completing a variety of tasks. They are all legitimate websites that do pay.
But you need to remember this is a way of earning some extra cash. Not a way for creating a passive income. Also, you won’t become a millionaire or anything like that. But making a good amount of extra income for yourself is entirely possible.
- User Testing. Instead of just surfing the net in your spare time you could get paid reviewing websites and apps. The payment is $10 per test and each test takes about 15-20 minutes to complete. You have to complete a set of tasks (nothing complicated) and record your feedback. Web site owners want to see what others think about their website and they are willing to pay for that. And you can make money by testing their sites. You must be over 18 years old and speak English. They only pay via PayPal.
- Swagbucks. One of the most popular sites to earn some extra cash. And no taking surveys is not the only way to make money with Swagbucks. There are a number of things you could do. Like completing polls, surfing the net, watching videos or even playing games. Don’t expect to make a lot of money but it’s an easy and fun way to earn a few extra dollars.
- Leap Force. Basically, you will be evaluating search engine results. And specifically, if the search results match up well with the search terms.To get hired you are required to pass a three-part qualification exam. Not the easiest thing to do but the money is pretty good if you get the job.
- InboxDollars. Similar to Swagbucks they offer a variety of simple ways to make money online. Surveys, surfing the web, shopping online etc. If you are interested in surveys you can also try Toluna, Global Test Market, PaidSurveys, Survey Club.
- SpeakWrite. They offer a transcription service and you can work as a typist. You must be fluent in English and a legal resident of the US or Canada to apply. I know that’s not what most people are looking for when searching for ways to make money online but i thought “you never know”. For some people, it could be a great part-time job opportunity.
- Listverse. Strictly for writers though. If you are good at writing, well they pay $100 for each post. But they don’t accept any post. There are certain rules you must follow. Your post must be a list of 10 things (at least) and minimum 1,800 words. The good thing is there are not so many restrictions on what your post should be. For some people, this is easy money. For me better start your own blog.
- Clickworker. Plenty of things you can do to earn some money. And they are not that difficult. Things like completing surveys, proofreading, data entry, web research, writing texts about a specific topic. You are paid in cash via PayPal.
- Mechanical Turk. It is a platform owned by Amazon where you can get paid for completing various microtasks. They call them HITS and they are not that difficult to do. Things like image processing, transcription, translation, data processing, writing content etc.
Making money online is definitely possible. As you can see there are many methods to choose from. But no matter what you decide to do you need to understand that earning a significant amount of money online requires hard work. And you must also embrace the ‘pain’ that comes with it.
Working from home and making money online sounds like an amazing idea. And it really is. But most people only focus on the money they will earn and they forget about what it takes to do that. And when the reality of the online world hit us all and we realize that things are not that easy everything comes crashing down. That’s the moment most people give up on trying to earn an income online.
What i am trying to say is don’t just focus on the destination but also think about the journey. Because is not an easy one. But when there is will there is always a way. Pick something you like and go for it. Better focus on creating passive income streams and always keep learning more and more about online business and marketing.
Do you want to learn more about the power of affiliate marketing and how to use it? How to build an affiliate website? How to start an online business?
Click the link below and learn how to create a profitable online business.
Leave a comment below and share your ideas and opinions with us. And if you like this post share it with your social media followers.